by Abigail Kress, 1st Grade Teacher
You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. – Colossians 2:13
This year in first grade we’ve learned a lot about what it means for God to spiritually revive us. When it came time for first grade to host chapel, we decided to put on a play and act out the story of Saul on the road to Damascus. We discussed how Saul, and every one of us, is born spiritually dead because of our sinful nature… but because God loves us so much, He sent Jesus, the perfect sacrifice, to the cross as payment for our sins. When we become Christ-followers, we are made alive again with Christ and in Christ.
Throughout the past year, we’ve talked about how when God changes our hearts, we begin to act more and more like Jesus. God can use anyone he revives in incredible ways just like he used Saul (who would eventually become Paul) in many awesome ways. We know that there is no age-requirement to be used by God for His glory and His kingdom here on earth – God can use first graders just as he uses adults!
Here are some things we’ve learned after studying the story of Saul’s spiritual transformation while on the road to Damascus…
- God can change anyone’s heart. If he can change Saul’s heart, he can change anyone’s heart and revive anyone. –Emmitt
- Both Saul and the King of Egypt started out the same because they hated God. Saul hated the people who loved Jesus. The King of Egypt hated the people who loved God. But Saul is different than the King of Egypt because God changed Saul’s heart and Saul did lots of wonderful things for Jesus. There’s a big difference between those two now. –Robbie
- When we see people who are being mean and definitely don’t have Jesus in their hearts, we can tell them about Jesus. Jesus can change their hearts too. – Joey
- We should pray for people who don’t know Jesus. We can ask God to please change their hearts so they don’t do really bad things anymore. Jesus changed Saul’s heart so he didn’t do really bad things anymore either. –Taylor
- We can read our Bible to our friends who don’t believe in Jesus because it would tell them how God can change their heart just like He changed mine. We can be missionaries too just like Saul would become a missionary! –Sage
- If we tell more people about Jesus, they will love Him more and more. –Elly